Business Development Manager (Preclinical Services)
The successful candidate will be responsible for increasing revenue by generating sales from new clients. They will be an experienced ‘hunter’, rather than ‘farmer’, selling preclinical research services, ideally from within a small company.
The candidate will be responsible for identifying and qualifying new business opportunities, engaging with prospective clients and closing contracts via the implementation of a strategic approach to lead generation, with day to day management of a lead generating team.
Head Office is in Manchester. The successful candidate may be home-office based in the UK but will be expected to spend time in the Manchester office in addition to business travel. A northwest location is clearly preferable but not essential.
The position reports to the Commercial Director.
Key Responsibilities and Functions
* Implement and participate in setting the early sales strategy aimed at achieving and exceeding sales turnover and financial return. This will predominantly focus on new client acquisition by developing a pattern of prospecting to increase market presence and maximise business opportunities, using an extensive and well qualified CRM.
* Management and development of supporting staff responsible for earlier stages of the sales pipeline (e.g. identification and contacting of new clients) through to quoting and closing a sale, to exceed their key objectives.
* Accurately forecast sales opportunities.
* Some management of existing accounts, but with a focus on fostering new long term business relationships.
* Maintain a high level of scientific and commercial competence on relevant products and services.
* Maintain an awareness of competitor activities and developments and ensure that this information is collected and made available to the line manager.
* Participate in scientific and partnering meetings, exhibitions and conferences to maintain high levels of market presence and engagement.
* Participate in commercial strategy discussions with the Commercial Director and the wider Executive Team.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills/Competencies Required
* Education - University level degree in a Life Sciences related discipline, and ideally a higher degree. A background in oncology, gastrointestinal, inflammation or dermatological therapeutic areas would be advantageous.
* 5+ years field sales experience selling into the biotech/pharma sector (B2B). Experience in sales and key account management in the area of selling Preclinical Research Services is essential, preferably in the therapeutic areas in which the Client is involved in (inflammatory diseases and oncology). A proven track-record of achieving and exceeding sales targets, along with a desire to grow new business. International experience desirable.
* Experience in understanding client needs and business drivers and using this knowledge to develop account plans and sales strategies.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – experience of both client and team management.
* Experience preparing proposals and drafting contracts, with associated negotiation skills.
* Persistence and tenacity in developing prospects and clients, and able to close business.
* Strong presentation, analytical and client service skills.
* Energetic self-starter, able to manage time and organise and prioritise workloads
Customer Acquisition Management
Business To Business