Qualified Nursing Staff (Nursing Care Centre) / Senior Care Assistant (Residential Care Centre)
This job description is a statement of the core duties of the Care Assistant, but it is not an exhaustive list. The Company may revise this job description to meet the needs of the business and reserves the right to require you to perform other duties from time to time.
The post holder will assist in the provision of care and work as part of a team to achieve required standards. Care Assistants will ensure Service Users retain their dignity and individuality and will be involved in the general activities of the Care Centre.
- Ensure the highest possible levels of care are maintained by supporting/assisting Service users, when required, with washing, toileting, dressing, undressing, and all other aspects of daily living.
- Assist Service users in all aspects of their care needs (e.g. physical, emotional and spiritual). Pay particular attention to assisting Service users who have limited mobility, or physical / learning difficulties, making the best use of aids provided.
- Provide attention when needed, whilst ensuring Service users retain their comfort and dignity.
- Closely monitor Service users who may be confused and / or who have behavioural problems
- Assist in the promotion of continence.
- Assist in the delivery of care for Service users who are dying or who have a progressive illness. Assist with last offices.
- Observe care planning needs for Service users and complete written daily records as instructed and in line with the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Assist in framework of social activities by interacting with Service users and helping them continue with hobbies and activities in the Care Centre.
- Answer Nurse call system, giving assistance as required. Answer the door and telephone appropriately. Respond accordingly, and pass on messages promptly.
- Under the supervision and guidance of senior Care Staff, report on the well-being of Service users
- Carry out regular checks on Service users at intervals determined by senior Staff Members.
- Make Visitors feel welcome. Provide refreshments/assistance as and when required.
- Make and change beds, ensuring that rooms are clean and tidy, and commodes are empty, in line with the Care Centre’s disposal of waste policy. Ensure the Care Centre’s resources are used appropriately.
- Clean and maintain equipment used by Service users / Relatives e.g. wheelchairs, hearing aids, spectacles etc. Ensure the Care Centre is kept clean and tidy.
- If applicable, care for Service users’ clothing and rooms as named, and ensure that all clothing is recorded and clearly marked.
- Ensure full privacy and dignity is maintained for the dying and the bereaved, in line with the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Assist Service users who need help during meal times (be aware of swallowing difficulties, dietary requirements etc). Assist with serving of food / drinks as requested / required. Wash up as requested / required.
- Escort Service users travelling to and from the Care Centre e.g. on social outings, hospital visits etc.
- Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with Service users' personal and financial affairs, and avoid abuse of the privileged relationship that exists with Service users.
- Act courteously toward residents and their visitors, respecting the dignity and individuality of each resident and ensure effective communication is maintained.
- Participate in Staff and Service user meetings as and when required.
Training & Development
- Maintain professional knowledge and competence.
- Attend mandatory training days/courses, on or off site, as and when required.
- Participate in relevant NVQ training to achieve required qualifications.
Health & Safety
- Report immediately to the Home Manager, or Person in Charge, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Service user, colleague, self or another.
- Understand, and ensure the implementation of, the Care Centre’s Health and Safety policy, and Emergency and Fire procedures.
- Report to the Home Manager, or the Maintenance person, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
- Promote safe working practice within the Care Centre.
- Ensure the security of the Care Centre is maintained at all times
- Always act in a manner which respects and promotes the confidentiality of Service Users, Staff and any other involved parties.
- Adhere to all Company policies and procedures
- You may be required to perform other duties within your capacity, according to the needs of the business.
Why work for Roseberry?
Roseberry Care Centres is a company "where people matter", and that applies to our staff as well as to the people who use our services.
We have a national recognition agreement in place with the GMB Union and are committed to working collaboratively with our staff group to ensure that better terms and conditions of employment are developed and maintained.
We expect our staff to be enthusiastic and hard-working; in return we offer rewarding work in a friendly and supportive environment.
At Roseberry Care Centres we are looking for kind, caring and compassionate people who have a professional approach to their work. We insist our staff must be dedicated to providing the best possible care for our residents, ensuring their individual needs are met.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and we employ staff from a diverse range of backgrounds, drawn from the communities local to our care centres. Our homes really are an integral part of the community.
…What are the benefits?
We invest in a thorough training programme so staff can be sure they are doing their job to a high standard and have the opportunity to learn new skills.
A thorough programme of appraisal and supervision means our staff have the opportunity to fulfil their potential.Our internal recruitment system ensures staff have the opportunity for promotion within the Company.
We offer a specialist dementia awareness training programme which is accredited by Stirling University.
All our staff have access to a stakeholder pension scheme.
We offer an employee assistance programme that offers free and confidential advice on family, relationships, health and emotional well-being, as well as legal advice.
An employee benefits programme offers discounts and special offers on shopping.