Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Full Time - 40 hours per week
A new opportunity has arisen for a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon to join a dedicated and professional Multi-disciplinary medical team at the our Hospital in Gillingham. You will be a highly valued member of our team bringing your expertise and skills in a range of general ophthalmic out-patient and surgical procedures including predominantly Cataracts.
As a Consultant you will have access to great facilities in a well-structured and relaxed environment. Our hospital is a state of the art independent facility, offering Outpatient/day surgery to NHS patients in the surrounding areas. The specialties we offer are Ophthalmology, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Orthopaedics and Urology We're committed to investing in our staff and providing the highest quality patient welfare and satisfaction.
Reporting to the Hospital Medical Director you will perform a range of ophthalmology procedures, on patients referred to the treatment centre, working in accordance with treatment centre protocols and working practices. Duties will include:
- Preoperative intra operative and postoperative activities as well as time allocated for clinical supporting work
- Participation in the outpatients prior to surgery, and in all aspects of the operative care of the patients
- Spend the equivalent of at least three days in the operating theatre and two days a week in a combination of outpatient assessment; administrative, management and clinical governance duties
- Work closely with clinical colleagues, both specialists and RMO's, in order to enhance the level of patient care at the centre.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Wide training and experience in general ophthalmology
- Able to offer expert clinical opinion on range of problems within ophthalmology
- Able to take full and independent responsibility for delivering service without direct supervision - Experience of high volume cataract surgery under topical anaesthesia
- Innovative approach to provision of ophthalmology services with ability to embrace change to improve the provision of care
- Knowledge of evidence based practice
- Excellent clinical skills
- Able to work within a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent communication skills - fluent spoken and written English
Skills & Experience
- UK registerable Medical Degree
- Past record of academic achievement
- Full and Specialist GMC Registration in relevant speciality
Together with a competitive base salary we offer our Consultants a range of benefits including contributory pension scheme and 10 days CPD with generous financial contribution.