Day Surgery Staff Nurse | Surgical | Equivalent to Band 5 | Gatwick Park | Days only
Spire Gatwick Park Hospital has an exciting opportunity for a registered nurse to join their friendly team in the day surgery unit. The successful applicant will be responsible for providing care to day patients coming into the hospital to undergo planned, routine operations and investigations.
If you join our team you will work with leading consultants many of whom have national and international reputations exposing you to innovative evidence based clinical techniques. Our consultants are drawn from the UK’s top teaching hospitals and provide us with a wide range of expertise these include orthopaedic, urology, ENT, gynaecology, bariatrics, plastic, reconstructive breast, and general surgery.
Spire Gatwick Park Hospital is just a few miles away from Gatwick Airport. Central London and Victoria station are a 30 minute train ride away. The Hospital consists of two outpatient areas and a Bupa Health Assessment centre. There are two ward areas with 29 single rooms, a two bedded emergency recovery unit with a sixteen bedded day care unit, and five single rooms. There are three operating theatres, two with laminar flow.
Duties and responsibilities
- Part of multidisciplinary team and will be responsible for admitting patients into the Day Care Unit, giving support, advice and as much information as possible prior to surgery.
- After patients have been prepared for theatre, their care is handed over to the theatre staff.
- Recovery of the patients immediately after their operation is also an important part of the role. Post operatively, after general anaesthetic, patients stay in the Day Care Unit.
- Prior to discharge from the unit patients are given health education, information about medication, wound care, sutures and pain relief. This ensures that patients are able to care for themselves once discharged.
- Day Case Unit nurses have the autonomy to decide if a patient should or should not be discharged.
Part of the culture at Spire is to encourage and bring out the best in the workforce by supporting very personalised development plans and learning from the current senior and very experienced team. You will be involved in many working groups within the hospital and be given full support in acquiring new specialty skills.
Who we're looking for
- NMC Registered
- Previous surgical experience and competence across a range of nursing skills supported by professional and clinical knowledge.
- Cannulation and taking blood (desirable)
- Qualifications as a mentor or assessor and training in intermediate life support (desirable)
We offer employees a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package which includes but is not limited to:
- 35 days annual leave inclusive of bank holidays
- Employer and employee contributory pension with flexible retirement options
- ‘Spire for you’ reward platform - discount and cashback for over 1000 retailers
- Free Bupa wellness screening
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Save an average of £50 per month with our free onsite car park
We commit to our employees well-being through work life balance, on-going development, support and reward.
Spire Healthcare is a leading independent hospital group that has been putting patients at the heart of everything we do for over 40 years. We have 39 hospitals, 10 clinics and a Specialist Cancer Care Centre across England, Wales and Scotland.
For further information about this role or for an informal conversation about the range of career options available with Spire please contact Louise Tankard on [ Email address blocked ]
For us, it's more than just treating patients; it's about looking after people.
Closing date: In order to streamline our recruitment process, we reserve the right to expire vacancies prior to the advertised closing date once we have received a sufficient number of applications