As a Dermatology nurse in a clinically-led service you'll be providing high quality, patient focused pathological care. Your role will include assisting Dermatologists with outpatient surgical procedures, dressing change and suture-removal, blood-taking, PDT, phototherapy and patch-testing and samples management, post-procedure patient follow-up and patient support. This role does not provide aesthetic or cosmetic services.
* 5.6 weeks holiday Inc. Bank Holiday in year 1, increasing to 6.6 weeks in year 2
* Pension Scheme
* Staff discount on treatments offered by the Clinic after passing probation
* This position is office hours Monday - Friday 9am -6pm
Duties and Responsibilities:
* To demonstrate good clinical practice at all times and to be accountable for own actions.
* Assist in the organisation of clinics to ensure smooth and efficient operations.
* Ensure equipment is in good working order and maintain accurate records of patient care.
* Organise diagnostic tests and appointments both within and outside the clinic.
* Set up theatre for dermatology procedures (including biopsies, excisions, cautery, cryotherapy, photodynamic therapy injections)
* Follow infection control and waste management procedures - keep theatre clean and tidy at all times and manage deep-clean and MRSA protocols
* Manage medical waste and sharps management
* Support Dermatologists during procedures following sterile / non-sterile area protocol
* Assist Dermatologists as a Chaperone in line with the clinic Chaperone policy
* Manage patients post procedure, including advice for wound management, scar minimisation
* Manage specimens and samples (complete request form, manage samples)
* Process pathology results (blood tests, swabs, urine, biopsies, IMF) including tracking results and providing to Dermatologists for communicating results
* Manage the theatre log including patient follow-up
* Ensure theatre and trolleys stocked and work with Office Manager to re-order supplies
* Remove sutures and perform wound checks and dressing changes
* Provide patient support post procedure including calling all patients day after procedure
* Manage daily, weekly, monthly testing including medical fridge readings, medication in-date, first-aid and emergency supplies in-date checks
* Prepare intralesional triamcinolone for injecting under the guidelines set by the Clinical lead
* Prepare botulinum toxin for injecting for medical treatment including hyperhidrosis under the guidelines set by the Clinical lead. [This role is not involved in the delivery of aesthetic treatments or services]
* Administer intralesional triamcinalone injections to patients of the clinic for the treatment of alopecia areata and acne cysts and keloid scars. Patients to have been seen by a clinic Dermatologist, diagnosed and approved for treatment prior to treatment
* Undertake patch-testing of patients including preparing allergens, applying patches, removing patches and taking and documenting readings
* Undertake phototherapy of patients to clinical protocols
* Perform Kleresca Acne Treatment
* Measure patients and be able to recommend compression garments for compression therapy
* Undertake photodynamic therapy (PDT) treatment of patients for superficial BCCs and actinic keratosis (field treatment) - conventional and daylight. Patients to have been seen by a clinic Dermatologist, diagnosed and approved for treatment prior to treatment
* Administer injections of vaccines for patients who have had a consultation by one of the clinic Dermatologist who have approved the patient for injections
* Take and record weight, height, blood pressure measurements, pregnancy tests and dipstick assessment (urine) of patients as directed by the clinic Dermatologists
* Take blood (phlebotomy) for patients needing blood-tests in accordance with the tests requested by the clinic Dermatologists
* Provide admin support as directed by Office Manager
Personal qualities, Skills and Experience
Ideally 2 years + post-registration experience in nursing
Band 5-7 depending on experience
Previous experience in dermatology useful but not essential
Phlebotomy training desirable
Phototherapy experience required
Experience working within an outpatients department and theatre
Basic I.T. skills
Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
As this post involves working with children and vulnerable adults in the course of daily duties it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Search is an equal opportunities recruiter and we welcome applications from all suitably skilled or qualified applicants, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age.