Environmental Advisor found on balfour beatty
Boston, MID PE21
About the Job
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Environmental Advisor to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Boston.
* To provide support and advice to operational teams on all aspects of environmental management, developing environmental documentation, meeting legal and company standards and helping deliver a culture of continual improvement;
* Understand and work with Clients and Regulators to ensure their environmental requirements are complied with. Support on site mitigation, sustainability of works and engagement with local stakeholders and members of the public;
* Overseeing a number of Environmental Advisors, working across a number of projects to ensure compliance, with key themes and trends identified.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Environmental Advisor you will:
* Deliver value adding environment projects and support ecological enhancements, including net gains;
* Liaise with client, regulatory bodies and subcontractors on matters of environmental management and sustainability;
* Produce and update environmental management plans and environmental risk assessments;
* Produce sustainability and involved plans, per project and overarching the region;
* Report on environmental and sustainability performance to both the Client and the Environmental Manager;
* Feed into the business stream's communications plan with sustainability content and use communications and improvements to engage staff on an on-going basis;
* Support Project Managers in managing subcontract and supply chain, ensuring projects delivered as per contractual obligations and commercially viable;
* Provide guidance to senior leadership and management on strategic objectives;
* Be representative and delegated authority of Environmental Manager where required; meetings, client forums etc;
* Provide on-site advice to operations and design teams on environmental management, compliance and project specific mitigation measures including pollution control and ecology protection;
* Investigate environmental incidents and support the business to implement controls to prevent repeat occurrence;
* Ensure lessons learned and recommendations are implemented from incidents & audits;
* Share learnings and contribute to the continuous improvement of the HSES strategy via communities of practice;
* Support the Bid Team by reviewing client tender documents and providing detailed responses such as environmental management plans;
* Ensure implementation of the project environmental management systems on project sites;
* Be aware of any changes to standards and legislation and where applicable recommend changes to systems and processes;
* Deliver environmental training, toolbox talks and undertake onsite coaching, promoting development and appropriate training of staff;
* Produce internal and external reports as required, e.g. case studies, environmental performance;
* Support and conduct audit and assurance activities including facilitating external audits by clients and certification bodies;
* Assist in the development and production of key performance indicators and management reports;
* Carry out any other duties as required
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
* Strong knowledge of environment management;
* Educated to degree level in Environmental Science, Environmental Management;
* Experience of working within the environmental field in the construction industry;
* Experience managing people/teams;
* Practical experience and knowledge of environmental legislation, ecology mitigation, environmental licences and consent applications and regulators;
* Understanding of ecological matters and environmental law;
* PIEEM, or IEMA Membership;
* Commercial awareness;
* Full UK driver's licence and flexibility to travel;
* Understanding of the utilities/construction/engineering operating environment;
* Literate in MS Office - Word, Excel, Outlook;
* Good interpersonal skills.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from £50,000 schemes to £100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beatty's Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the world's most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the [Click here to apply]
Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
Report this job
Boston, MID PE21
About this company