A national project based in Milton Keynes is seeking an experienced Laboratory Shift Manager to join their high throughput laboratory.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
This role will provide the laboratory with an individual experienced in molecular biology methods, who is a proven team leader, to assist with the management of personnel and processes in the SARS-CoV-2 RNA testing laboratory. Working closely with the senior BMS and section supervisors, you will ensure that lab processes are carried out safely, efficiently and to the quality standards required of ISO15189:2012 laboratory accreditation. Reporting to the Head of Laboratory Operations, you will have responsibility for SARS-CoV-2 RNA testing processes up to and including PCR plate preparation. You will have line management responsibility for section supervisors.
The duties outlined below are an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The post holder will also be expected to carry out other duties as may reasonably be required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide technical expertise to the project.
2. Provide end-to-end SARS-CoV-2 RNA testing daily process management (up to PCR plate preparation).
3. With the assistance of section supervisors, manage staff in the SARS-CoV-2 RNA testing laboratories during their shift (excluding the PCR analysis lab).
4. Responsibility for the line management, training and development of section supervisors.
5. Accountable for overseeing the effective management and assessment of training and ongoing competency assessments of the laboratory staff in line with the organisations procedures.
6. Create and review technical documents and SOPs compliant with the ISO15189:2012 standard using the laboratory QMS.
7. Assist laboratory management in ensuring that compliance with organisational quality standards and H&S requirements are maintained.
8. Pursue a programme of continuous professional development in accordance with any relevant professional registration.
1. BSc Honours degree in a biological science.
2. Extensive experience using a variety of PCR methods.
3. Evidence of ability to troubleshoot PCR preparation processes and carry out appropriate corrective actions/investigations.
4. Experience of maintaining documents and procedures within laboratory accreditation specifications (ISO15189:2012 / ISO17025:2019).
5. Proven experience of managing people and dealing with employee relation issues effectively.
6. Experience of training and supervising staff in a laboratory setting.
7. Ability to deliver and record training in accordance with the organisation’s procedures.
8. Willingness to participate in 24/7 shift working as required.
9. Evidence of excellent communication and extensive team-working skills.
10. Evidence of excellent attention to detail and strong organisational skills
1. Experience of using liquid handling robots (e.g. TECAN liquid handling systems).
2. Experience of viral RNA testing using real-time (RT) PCR methodology.
3. Extensive experience of supervising a team in a laboratory setting.
4. Higher-level degree or professional qualification (e.g. MSc, Higher Specialist portfolio).
5. Experience in using end-Point PCR methods.
6. Experience of Health and Safety regulations and procedures
Ribonucleic Acid Sequencing
Process Management (Business)
Employee Performance Management