A fabulous opportunity has arisen for a sciences graduate to work within a laboratory setting in a healthcare setting. The successful applicant will have gained lab based experience as part of their studies (or post studies experience) and be available to work immediately.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Under supervision and following Standard Operating Procedures the following duties may be carried out.
* Undertake in service training leading to the completion of the MLA logbook
* Deal with telephone enquiries.
* Liaise with and despatch consumables to service users.
* Solve day to day problems e.g. Mislabelled specimens
* Sort and prepare work for diagnostic testing
* Prioritise and fast track urgent and emergency work.
* Input PID and other data into the laboratory computer
* Maintain stocks of reagents and consumables.
* Prepare test materials, such as making up solutions of chemicals.
* Disposal of waste, including waste from the Category 3 Room
* Disinfection and cleaning of equipment and working areas.
* The routine maintenance of equipment.
* When appropriate assist in the training of new staff
* To assist in routine processing of samples received: Urines, faeces, swabs, blood culture, tissues, fluids and respiratory (non-TB) samples.
* to retrieve and grow organisms stored on beads in the deep freeze
* Maintenance and calibration of laboratory instruments and updating quality control records using necessary judgement and referring any inconsistencies to supervisors e.g. registered Biomedical Scientist.
* Sending away of specialist tests to reference laboratories in line with SOP and where required the scanning and entry of the reference reports on the laboratory computer system.
* To read MRSA plates.
* To process isolates for antibiotic testing on the Microscan automated system.
* To subculture blood culture positive bottles and prepare gram films.
Candidates will be required to work 37.5 hours a week on a rota basis and must have the flexibility to work shift patterns inclusive of weekends and nights (Not every single week but when required).
A full copy of the job description will be provided to all shortlisted applicants.
Taskmaster Resources is acting as a recruitment business for this role
Proportional Integral Derivative (Closed Loop Control)