ALS provides a broad range of testing and analytical services to a wide variety of end markets and industries around the globe. We continue to remain at the forefront of the testing services industry, building an enviable reputation.
About the Position
An exciting opportunity has become available within the management team at the ALS Sittingbourne microbiology laboratory.
Shift: 9am to 9pm working 4 days on and 4 days off shift
Basis: Permanent, Full Time
The position will involve the following:
* Efficiently organise and manage the team to ensure that all samples are analysed to a high standard by suitably trained staff within a time limit appropriate to the client expectations.
* To continually review resources including staff, equipment and consumables and to inform the Laboratory Manager if they are inadequate to meet the analysis demands.
* Ensure that agreed quality and safety checks are continually adhered to by the team and that all paperwork is completed in full.
* Communicate to the client where necessary and appropriate any delays in turnaround or queries regarding individual samples.
* Ensure that all staff are properly trained to perform the tasks allocated to them and to keep the Laboratory Manager informed of the progress and performance of all staff.
* Monitor the quality of work and results obtained to ensure that all work undertaken within the team complies with all the HSE, Quality, Regulatory and accreditation standards and requirements including compliance to internal ALS policies and procedures.
* Ensure that all results obtained by the team are calculated, checked and entered into ALimS without delay. Provide support in checking any query results.
* Perform final approval checks on results and act as a certificate signatory.
* Make changes to specification and dilution standing data at the request of the client or through sample type review.
* Be responsible for staff motivation and discipline and assist with recruitment and performance reviews.
To be successful in this role you will need to be:
* Educated to degree level or equivalent in a biological or chemistry subject and / or have several years of relevant experience working in a high throughput food microbiology laboratory.
* Technically competent in food and water analysis across a range of methodologies, techniques and procedures.
* Proficient user of Microsoft Office programs with LIMS and Webtrieve knowledge
* Previous supervisory experience in a laboratory environment.
* Good organisational skills, ability to work on own initiative and prioritise workload
* Ability to communicate instructions effectively
* Ability to motivate and inspire a team
An excellent opportunity to join an ever-growing organisation, where career progression forms part of its culture