Job Title: Part Time School Nurse - Maternity Leave Cover
Location: West Sussex
Job type: Part Time, Fixed Term (Maternity Leave Cover)
Starting Date: April 2019
Working Hours: (Term Time Only) 8.30am - 6pm, 4 day a week (to include Wednesdays)
The School is a delightful independent standalone prep school of 430 boys and girls aged 2 ½ to 13 set in 260 acres of beautiful Sussex countryside. The tremendous grounds include a Forest School and a School Farm. The school has a proud record of feeding many of the top day and boarding schools in the South East, with a large proportion of leaving students achieving scholarships and awards.
They are now seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and professional Receptionist to be the face of their busy and thriving Prep School.
Main Purpose of role:
The School Nurse oversees medical provision for the school and is expected to maintain the highest standards of professional conduct. The School Nurse will have sole responsibility for providing nursing cover and ensuring appropriate medical provision for pupils, staff and visitors on site. In particular:
- Providing first aid and emergency care and treatment if necessary. This includes stocking first aid kits to be loaned to staff as required for sports, woods visits, school trips etc.
- Assessing, implementing and evaluating care of pupils within the sickbay
- Providing a confidential counselling and health advice service as appropriate
- Maintain professional awareness and current changes in nursing practice by professional reading and research and attending courses as required
You will also share responsibility for the following key areas:
- Planned Nursing Care - for example, developing care plans, following and promoting good practice on immunisation procedures, operating procedures for control of infectious diseases, following procedures for safe storage and disposal of medical supplies, maintaining stocks of 'over the counter' and prescribed medicines, maintaining the treatment room and sick bay. Work within the Department of Health guidelines and following protocols for prescribing, dispensing and recording drug use
- Health Education - for example, promoting health education, teaching first aid, taking part in the delivery of PSHE, communicating with parents.
- Administration - for example, maintaining pupil records accurately, confidentially and safely and observe the requirements of the Data Protection Act so far as these apply to this post. Record dispensing of drugs following drug protocols.
- Health and Safety - for example, inputting to health and safety considerations at the school, keeping records of accidents.
- Liaison - for example, with pupils and their parents, with staff, school health advisers, social services, doctors etc.
The successful candidate will have/ be:
- A Registered Nurse (RGN) with valid NMC Pin
- Experience of working in a complex, busy environment
- Experience of sports injury care and treatment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to relate well to people on all levels with sensitivity, tact and diplomacy
- Able to maintain patient confidentiality at all times applying the latest NMC guidance
- A natural warmth and welcoming manner with a genuine desire to help others and offer a first class service
- The ability to demonstrate a commitment to improving and developing processes and procedures
- Full current UK driving licence and use of a car
Please click on the APPLY to be linked to the Careers page.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all of our staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced disclosure via the DBS and to register with the update service
NOTE: You will only be considered for this role if the application form is completed.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of Lead Nurse, Qualified Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurse, School Nurse, Children's Nurse, Nurse Coordinator, Primary Care Nurse, Nursing Coordinator, Paediatrics Nurse, First Level Nurse and Urgent Care Nurse may also be considered for this role.