Position : Production Scientist
Sector : Chemistry or Physics
Location : Guildford Surrey (at the University or the adjacent Research Park)
Salary :Negotiable but likely to be in the £30,000-£35,000 bracket and will be very much dependant on ability and experience
Superdielectrics Limited set out in 2013 to develop biocompatible, electrically conducting hydrophilic polymers which had the potential to be used in Bioelectronics. During their research and development programme, they noted that their materials exhibited very unusual electrical properties. Following independent research by the Bristol University Electrochemistry group, it was found that when tested in devices with simple carbon electrodes, the devices were characterised by geometrical capacitances three or four orders of magnitude larger than the geometrical capacitances of carbon electrodes in conventional electrolyte solutions. It was determined that these outstanding electrochemical properties could be exploited in the development of high energy density supercapacitors.
Their goal now is to develop high energy density, low cost, low environmental impact electrical energy storage devices that will help create a clean and sustainable global energy and transportation system.
As part of their continued development, they now have an opportunity for someone to join their team in the position of
Production Scientist (Chemistry, Physics or Production Engineering-polymers)
The main focus of the role will be to develop production processes as applied to polymers and electro-chemical cells either using continuous polymerisation processes to form membranes to be laid-up between electrodes, or in-situ polymerisation within the cell casing; initially at laboratory scale then as applied to prototypes. This is a fantastic opportunity for a Scientist to join an organisation who are continuing to develop their R & D programme but also start taking the first steps into production and commercialisation of their science and its integration into supercapacitor products.
• Degree (preferably connected to polymerisation and molecular characterisation) in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Material Science, or a very closely related subject - this is essential
• Post-Graduate experience in electro-chemical cells and production techniques or a further Qualification in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Material Science, or a related subject - this is preferred (MSc, PhD etc)
• Good understanding of organic chemistry and polymerisation is essential
• Current or recent experience of technology / science driven research and development, and of how to productionise the results
• Previous experience in a R & D environment in a polymer related field
• Experience developing scale-able polymerisation based production processes and subsequent product conversion procedures (i.e. knowledge of and ability to compare alternative production processes)
• Able to develop new production processes
• Able to apply a high level of scientific rigor to the analysis of data and results, and use this to draw & present conclusions to other scientists and non-technical people
• Specific experience of polymerisation is essential, electro-chemical cell fabrication is desirable.
• Able to keep accurate records and to compile technical reports
• Any experience of patents for science is beneficial
• Able to work to industry standards eg ISO 9001
• Happy to work with pilot plant for scale up and commercialisation of products
• Have a high regard for health and safety and for appropriate housekeeping
• Any interest in renewable energy or energy storage is beneficial as this will ultimately be where the application of the science will be used
• Not happy to accept the status quo, always wanting to push the boundaries of what is deemed acceptable or possible
Candidates must have the right to live and work in the UK. We are not able to offer sponsorship for this vacancy.
What is on offer :
• Basic salary from £30,000-£35,000 (very negotiable according to ability and experience)
• Holidays 25 days plus statutory holidays
• Pension Plan
• The Company intends to set up an in service' share option scheme subject to HMRC approval.
• The chance to be part of something truly special
Direct or third party applications will be passed to Nicholas Associates Group for consideration. Acceptance of any third party contracts or terms of business is expressly denied