We are presenting an exciting opportunity to manage the Global Coatings Research & Development team in Preston, UK. We are a global construction company and have a strong R&D and manufacturing presence in the UK. Our site in Preston is home to world class R&D facilities and is the global expertise centre for liquid applied membranes, for roofing and balcony waterproofing applications. The team are responsible for a large product portfolio and wide range of innovation activities within the Coatings technology sector. With a global outreach and worldwide market, this presents significant potential to be a key contributor to large volume new product developments and innovation activities in line with the company’s ambitious growth strategy.
If you want to be a part of our history and contribute to our exciting future then this role could be for you.
* Managing the technology centre project portfolio and innovation activities.
* Line management of 4 Technology Leaders and overall team of 10. Assignment of responsibilities, annual targets and review of performance.
* Management of departmental structures, systems and procedures.
* Managing Health and Safety of the department and compliance with ISO9001 quality systems.
* Overall responsibility for R&D compliance with Project Management Systems (PCP).
* Ensuring new developments meet market requirements and standards.
* Managing departmental budget.
* Provision of technical advice and support to customers and colleagues, including leadership of the team on these activities.
* Development of knowledge, expertise and intellectual property relating to Coatings Chemistry as both an individual contributor and through team leadership.
* Collaboration with other global Coatings centres and overseas partners.
* Working closely with all other key departments to maintain existing product range and bring new products to the market e.g. Marketing, Product Management, Quality Dept, Operations, Sales, Applications & Technical Teams.
37.5 hours. Flexible pattern around Core Hours. Site based in Preston (UK), but part home working incorporated.
We Need Your Skills
* To be successful in this role we are looking for someone with the following:
* Minimum of degree level in Chemistry, Polymer, Materials or aligned Scientific discipline.
* Proven track record (minimum of 5 years) in product development within an R&D setting.
* Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a management or leadership role.
* Management qualifications (e.g. MBA) desirable.
* Experience of workplace H&S Management, product safety regulations and quality systems (e.g. ISO9001)
* Able to lead cross functional teams and influence direction of collaborative projects.
* Combines technical knowledge and skills with communication and presentation skills.
* Is self-motivated, resilient and self-reliant.
* A sophisticated knowledge of New Product Development (NPD) systems and processes is desirable
New Product Development