Practice Nurse/Safeguarding Lead Nurse :
● Provide safe and effective health assessments and treatment of patients attending our GP clinic locations.
● To deliver face to face and telephone services which will enable patients to obtain health advise and treatment
● To be accountable for their own practice.
● To practice within own sphere of competence and agreed acceptable limits of practice.
● To be responsible for the assessment of care needs the development, implementation and evaluation of programmes of care, without supervision, and to teach other nursing and non-nursing staff.
● To work as part of the multi-disciplinary team in providing quality, evidence-based health care to meet the immediate needs of the patient.
● To take an active role within the cross-disciplinary, multi-skilled team to ensure service quality in line with corporate goals and strategy, and to assist in the development of new models for service delivery which have a positive impact on the health economy.
● Provide leadership and mentorship to the team of Practice Nurses, Health Care Assistants and Phlebotomists.
● provide leadership in the practice’s fulfilment of the Quality Outcomes Framework and local Quality Improvement Schemes.
● work as part of the primary healthcare team providing personal medical services to the practice patients. This will include chronic disease management, treatments and dressings, immunisations, health screening and health promotion.
● To promote the early accurate identification and management of safeguarding concerns by leadership, expert practice using updated knowledge skills and competencies to safeguard of children and adults within the organisation.
● To identify and champion safeguarding children developments and innovations.
● To promote continuous improvement of the quality in the delivery of excellent services.
● To apply knowledge of the current legislation around promoting and safeguarding the health, welfare and safety of children, young people and adults, of national and local policies, knowledge of inter-agency roles and responsibilities
● Provide formal, regular, structured and ad hoc safeguarding children & adult supervision to all staff.
● Have high level of expertise and experience and ability to manage complex cases and support less experienced staff
● Lead and support the nursing team on a day-to-day basis
● Analyse and implement policies and procedures to develop innovative ways of working that are evidence-based.
● Provide a high quality, safe and supportive environment for patients, meeting their identified physical and psycho-social needs within the scope of individual accountable practice.
● Work within Practice guidelines, policies, protocols and procedures reporting outcomes to appropriate clinical staff so standards of care can be monitored and improved where necessary. This includes adhering to the following agendas: infection control, equality and diversity, health and safety.
● Maintain effective communication with patients, carers, relatives and members of the multidisciplinary team ensuring information is shared appropriately and confidentially so patient needs are met in accordance with NHS directives and safeguarding policies (DH 2003; DH 2010).
● Protect and maintain patient records to the agreed Practice standard and in accordance with professional record keeping standards (NMC 2009).
● Administer medicines in accordance with a non-medical prescribing framework, patient specific direction or patient group direction in accordance with the standards for medicine management (NMC 2007).
● Organise, manage and prioritise own workload ensuring care of patients is paramount.
● Develop the role by using evidence-based practice and continuously improving own knowledge as defined by the NMC and revalidation guidelines.
● Other tasks will include
o Maintaining and cleaning equipment used by the nurses and GPs
o Maintain general tidiness and cleanliness of nurses and treatment rooms, including stocking and rotating items as required
o Maintain stock of waiting room leaflets as instructed by partners and Practice Manager
o Ordering of Health Promotion Literature
o Ordering of vaccinations to maintain stock levels
o Participation in administrative systems in the Practice
o At all times there will be a need to maintain accurate records
o A duty to advise the management team of potential problems or errors within the range of assigned tasks
o Attend and participate in any Practice meetings when required.
o On occasion there may be a requirement to undertake home visits
o Any other delegated duties appropriate to the post