Agenda are working in partnership with a South London based life science laboratory animal facility to recruit an experienced Principal Animal Technician, to provide research support and maintenance for all animal-based research projects undertaken at their facility. The post holder will be responsible for supervision of staff and will act as a point of contact for external research customers and organisations and will also be able to cover duties of the Deputy Unit Manager when required.
* Personal licensee under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 is essential.
* Qualification in animal technology to MIAT/ level 4 or equivalent is essential.
* Registered Animal Technologist (RAnTech) is desirable.
* Significant experience of working in a biological research unit.
* Supervisory Management skills and rota management.
* Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation
* Knowledge and skills of breeding techniques, anaesthesia, euthanasia, removal of body fluids, etc.
* Knowledge and skills in Rederivation
* Have direct supervision of all current animal work, and on a day-to-day basis manage the operation of specific areas, or a range of specialist technical services
* Provide ‘hands on’ training service and skills assessment for a wide range of techniques to other Personal Licence holders.
* Oversee or conduct research programmes for internal and external researchers that may not carry a licenced for animal procedures.
* Responsibility for routine husbandry, breeding, and associated tasks to include the specialised housing conditions and requirements for rodents and zebrafish.
* To operate specialist machinery to clean and sterilize equipment, ensuring there are no contaminants that might impact on the welfare of animals.
* Manage on-going rodent breeding programs while maintaining records.
* Supervision and training of junior staff including assisting with Personal reviews of these grades.
* Undertake any other duties and train other researchers as required.
Agenda and its clients only recruit people who are passionate about animal care and welfare, people with integrity who are honest and trustworthy and who have a great work ethic. To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive background and pre-employment screening as an essential part of the recruitment process