Job Title: Senior Biomedical Scientist - Blood Transfusion
Location: Basildon and Southend, Essex
Salary: £38,890 - £44,503 depending on experience + £5,000 joining bonus
Job type: Permanent, Full time
The Company provides a wide range of testing capabilities from workplace drug and alcohol testing, food testing, oil and fuel testing, veterinary testing and advanced pathology services through to the most innovative molecular and genetic diagnostic tests available today.
They work closely with clinicians, hospitals, occupational health providers and clinical researchers to provide a complete pathology offering.
They currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Biomedical Scientist (Blood Transfusion Team Leader) to join their professional team in providing Transfusion Services to both Basildon and Southend Hospitals, in addition to several Community Hospital sites. The BMS team manager will help support the Principal BMS in Blood Transfusion in the supervision and training of BMS staff, Associate Practitioners and MLA support staff.
As a registered Biomedical Scientist, the candidate will be expected to lead and supervise the day to day delivery of a diagnostic service within the Blood Transfusion department. They must be able to provide advanced biomedical science technical support in transfusion expertise by providing training, advice, technical development, troubleshooting and supervision.
Duties will include:
- To be able to routinely work within the Blood Transfusion Department to ensure that all specimens are processed in a timely and accurate manner, whilst ensuring a high standard of quality
- Supervise and organise the workflow through all sections of the lab making the best possible use of available resources
- Review of SOPs and implementation of new procedures with change control processes
- Have an understanding of root cause analysis procedures in the investigation of incidents
- To ensure that all transfusion equipment is used, maintained and quality controlled in a safe and appropriate manner and that staff are competent in its use. To review and take remedial action when quality control procedures indicate loss of performance
- Assist in maintaining appropriate internal and external quality assurance to recognise poor performance and act accordingly
- To ensure an adequate supply of consumables used in a robust and documented stock rotation system, oversee reagent batch acceptance testing and act appropriately on failures identified
- HCPC State registration as a Biomedical Scientist in Haematology & Transfusion.
- MSc, FIBMS, or IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma, or equivalent in clinical biochemistry and/or experience in an equivalent role. And have at least 5 years of laboratory experience
- Experience in a training role or completion of the IBMS Certificate of Expert Practice in Training would be beneficial
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Level 2 or above management qualification (desirable)
- Ability to work across 2 different sites in a 24-7 work environment if/and when required
- Able to demonstrate a good knowledge and experience of industry standard laboratory information management systems and computer applications including Word, Excel, Power Point, Access and Statistical Package
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of; Biomedical Scientist, Biomedical Technician, Biochemist, Blood Transfusion Specialist, HCPC Registered Specialist, Biomedical Laboratory Specialist, Haematologist may also be considered for this role.