Applications close in 5 days
£27,000 - £32,000 / year
NHS Band 5
UK Biobank have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Phlebotomy Trainer to join their team based in Cheadle.
Location: Cheadle - Frequent travel to other sites across the UK
Salary: £27000-£32000 per annum dependent on experience
Hours: 35 hours per week
Would you like to play a part in the world’s largest Medical Imaging programme?
UK Biobank is an international health resource of unparalleled scale. We hold a wide range of samples and health related information provided by 500,000 volunteer participants.
Ten thousand researchers are already using UK Biobank samples and data to improve our understanding of a wide range of serious and life-threatening illnesses from COVID-19 to dementia. Over x,000 scientific papers based on UK Biobank data have already been published in leading scientific journals.
In support of our mission to make the resource ever more powerful for scientific research, we are currently progressing the world’s largest imaging study and have already acquired brain, heart and abdomen MRI, DEXA bone density, and carotid artery ultrasound scans on 50,000 volunteers – half way to our target of 100,000 people.
This is a powerful resource in its own right but also makes UK Biobank uniquely positioned to support COVID-19 related research and, over the next 6 months, we will be running a short repeat imaging study to capture the effects of past COVID-19 infection on major body organs. This will generate a unique set of pre- and post- infection images to inform research into this new disease.
After completion of this sub-study we will return to our primary imaging study.
Senior Phlebotomy Trainer - The Role:
The post holder will be responsible for ensuring high quality blood samples are collected to the same standard across all of UK Biobanks Imaging Centres. They will also be responsible for delivery of UK Biobank’s venepuncture training; this includes continually updating and improving the venepuncture training module and ensuring that training standards are maintained across all imaging centres.
Duties to include:
- Assess existing venepuncture skills to determine training requirements for all new HCA’s
- Coordinate all venepuncture training activities with assistance and input from the HCA Team Leader, Centre Manager and Training and Monitoring Manager
- Develop appropriate and individualised training plans, and work with HCA Team Leaders to ensure venepuncture training is delivered in a timely manner
- Oversee and deliver training for HCA’s in UK Biobank’s venepuncture processes, in both a simulated and clinical environment
- Coordinate Level 3 training for all HCA Team Leaders and any other Phlebotomy Trainers
- Complete training and assessment forms and other administrative tasks associated with the venepuncture training
- Monitor and report on the overall effectiveness of training, work with the Training and Monitoring Manager to create tools to measure and track effectiveness
- Work to continually improve the venepuncture training provided by UK Biobank, introducing changes and improvement initiatives, as necessary
Senior Phlebotomy Trainer – You:
- A minimum of 3 years venepuncture experience is essential
- Trustworthy, personable, and people-focussed with the ability to inspire and motivate others
- Pro-active and organised with excellent time-management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to speak clearly and effectively to all levels
- Strong ability to teach others, able to break down concepts into easily understandable segments, able to teach concepts to a wide variety of learning styles
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective feedback and coaching
- The ability to work well as part of a team
- The ability to work flexibly is essential
- An understanding of quality and health and safety, specifically experience of working to ISO standards
- Able to utilise technology such as Microsoft Office and projectors etc
- Must be able and willing to regularly travel to UK Biobanks remote Imaging Centres, and will be required to work remotely at times
- Ability to develop training material and experience of delivering training.
- Experience of delivering training in a medical field (preferably venepuncture)
- Experiencing of working in research (preferably volunteer cohort studies)
- Working with volunteer participants
- Laboratory experience
- Train the trainer qualification
Senior Phlebotomy Trainer – Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Holidays based on an equivalent of 26 days holiday
- Membership of the generous USS pension scheme
- Cycle schemes
To submit your CV for this exciting Senior Phlebotomy Trainer opportunity, please click ‘Apply’ now