Applications close in 2 days
SUPPORT WORKER 2 (N752)
Closing date: 23rd Jul 2019
Job Reference: N752
Edinburgh Support Service, Edinburgh
£17,550 - £18,996, 37.5 hours per week
We have vacancies for support worker 2's in Edinburgh. As a key worker we expect you to establish positive relationships and offer practical and emotional support to the people who use our services and have severe and enduring mental health problems. The successful candidates will be able to demonstrate a mature and caring attitude and possess excellent listening and communication skills. You should already have extensive experience of working in the field of mental health or social care, and must be able to demonstrate a high degree of skill in report writing, assessing client need and developing professional support plans. SVQ Level II in care or equivalent is highly desirable. Whatever your background, a flexible caring approach combined with good practical skills will be essential. You should be flexible in the hours you are available to work, which includes weekends, and evenings.
Closing date for all applications is 9.00 am, Tuesday 23rd July 2019. Interviews will be held w/c 29th July 2019.
Applications are welcome from people who have experienced mental health difficulties. A PVG check is required for this post, along with a Right to Work in the UK check. Candidates will also be required to provide proof of qualifications declared on the application form
Application Form Guidance Notes
Please read our guidance notes before completing our application form.
Apply now to work with SAMH!
Post Title: Support Worker Level 2
Accountable To: Manager
For all Posts
* All staff are required to comply with SAMH Terms and Conditions of Service.
* All staff are required to familiarise themselves with all relevant SAMH policies, guidelines and procedures, in particular, Health & Safety and Equal Opportunities and to apply them in practice.
* In addition to the duties and responsibilities outlined in this Job Description, all staff are expected to undertake any additional reasonable tasks or responsibilities as may be required of them by their line manager.
* All staff are expected to have a basic knowledge of mental health issues and an understanding of the difficulties faced by people with mental health problems.
* All staff must be willing to undertake further training if required.
The postholder will play an important role in providing support services so as to encourage their clients independent living and for creating an environment for recovery in which relationships uphold their rights to privacy, dignity and personal choice.
Key Purpose(s) of the Post
* To support clients in their homes and encourage them to participate in activities for independent living and to be involved in all decisions that affect them.
* To provide quality support services to clients through effective planning, monitoring, evaluation and review of their requirements in partnership with them.
* To promote the work of SAMH and the work of the service in order to enhance provision of services to clients.
* To keep abreast of developments in own field and contribute as an effective team member to the development of the activities of the service.
* To ensure that services provided comply with standards set by SAMH and meet the contractual or partnership requirements of relevant external agencies.
Main Duties & Responsibilities of the Post
Encourage independent living.
* Provide emotional support as appropriate and assist clients in daily living and social skills including financial management and leisure activities.
* Provide practical assistance for domestic and personal needs to individual clients as required whilst encouraging individual responsibility and maximisation of personal choice.
* Act as advocate or facilitate advocacy where appropriate by acting on behalf of individual clients in negotiations with external agencies as directed by line manager.
Quality service, monitoring, evaluation, review
* Report and record information in accordance with operational guidelines.
* Participate with clients, and other members of the staff team, in the assessment, preparation and implementation of individual support plans.
* Update, monitor and review client's support plans with them on a regular basis.
* Work with clients on an individual or group basis to match their individual needs to the effective use of service and community resources in order to maximise independence and quality of life.
* Be familiar with and adhere to SAMH operational guidelines, procedures and quality management system.
Promote SAMH, project....enhance service provision
* Establish and maintain effective links with local community services.
* Ensure that clients are aware of local community services and encourage them to access these services.
* Encourage involvement of clients in decisions about their support.
Contribute as an effective team member
* Contribute to the development SAMH services by keeping up to date with activities in own field and bring significant issues to the attention of the Manager as necessary.
* Contribute fully to the activities of the project and play an effective role in achieving the aims and objectives of the project.
* Bring own perspective to work being done on new initiatives by the project.
* Be aware of own development needs and bring these to the attention of the Manager.
* Work with Manager in addressing own developmental needs.
Ensure standards set...SAMH and external agencies
* Work flexible hours as required in keeping with the operational demands of the service.
* Take part in a rota system including "on-call" and sleepovers as required.
* Be aware of and adhere to SAMH standards for staff performance.
* Be aware of and adhere to necessary standards in relation to project's agreed objectives and contractual requirements.
* Participate in the monitoring and evaluation of services provided to clients.
* Accountable to and will work positively and effectively with Manager.
* Will work positively and effectively with all colleagues.
* Will establish positive and supportive relationships with clients.
* Will endeavour to develop and maintain good relationships with relatives, neighbours and others in local community.
* Will liaise positively and effectively with staff of relevant external agencies ie. Social work/Housing/Health/DSS.
Key Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Qualities
* Social Work, Psychiatric Nursing, Occupational Therapy, SVQ III in Care or similar is desirable.
* Experience in mental health field is desirable.
* Experience of care in the community is desirable.
* Basic knowledge of community care is desirable.
* Understanding of factors affecting mental health is desirable.
* Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
* Must be approachable, supportive and able to operate in a team.
* Line Management/Supervision: None
* Plant/Premises/Equipment: Responsible for reporting on problems in safety and security of SAMH premises, equipment and safe systems of work.