Leeds, West Yorkshire
Our clients Orthopaedic Test Laboratory provides critical test services to the design and development of Orthopaedic implants and instruments and operates within the orthopaedic industry. The Biomechanics team is recruiting for a Test Engineer to carry out required testing. The Orthopaedic Test Laboratory strives to deliver a flawless service to its customers, providing guidance on testing, capability, and statistical analysis. This role will focus on testing instruments intended for use in orthopedic surgery through biomechanical means, including fatigue endurance and load to failure testing. The Orthopaedic Test Laboratory works with engineers around the world to perform essential testing.
All work will be completed in accordance with our client's specifications and procedures.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Conduct new product development and research testing work, duties include but not limited to: liaising and understanding requirements of work requests from Bio-engineers, translation of requests into practical in vitro tests, planning and execution of tests, analysis of data, completion of formal reporting and discussion with customers during and post activity to assess requirements for additional work.
* Assist other Test Engineers as and when required on a variety of projects
* Help other Test Engineers in the lab to perform testing if necessary
* Set up of test assemblies
* Contribute to departmental initiatives and meetings (within laboratory and wider R+D)
* Identify opportunities for strain gauging: identify equipment needs, work with supervision/project teams on key projects, instrument test pieces, perform strain gauge testing, analysis of data, interpretation of results, recommendation of future test methods, report compilation
* Participate in the development, component specification, building and validation of equipment employing electronics (such as instruments including transducer, controllers and triggers applied to test machines)
* Maintain laboratory inspection/test equipment by ensuring that equipment is serviceable, including but not limited to actively working or organizing subcontractors as required, ensuring calibration to schedule, servicing and maintenance, breakdown repairs.
* Act as the lead engineer for ISO accredited testing within the laboratory including: planning tests, fixture design and availability, liaising with customer, taking ownership and completing the task and compiling reports
* New equipment and facilities: Assist with Capital Expenditure (CapEx) justification, including defining the specification and introduction to the laboratory area, examples include but are not limited to Critica systems change form, internal qualification, calibration, risk assessment, staff training and developing work instructions
* Design and facilitate manufacture of one-off fixtures to support the lab activities as required utilizing CAD. Maintain register and storage of fixtures.
* Develop a mechanism for planning and recording machine usage including all activities of work tasks, calibration, and maintenance.
* A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent demonstrable experience is required.
* Experience in analytical testing is desired.
* Experience working with multiple international customers is a bonus.
* Strong analytical skills with the ability to work independently and think laterally to improve upon the range of testing offered would be a bonus.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Presentation skills, written and oral
* Report writing
* Independent working
* A team player with the ability to complete tasks through interaction with team members